Staff Fast Facts: Robert Salpeter, Director of Planning, Design and Construction

robert salpeter Robert Salpeter is the Director of Planning, Design and Construction at Yeshiva University. With a B.Arch from Cooper Union and an MS in Architecture from Columbia University, Robert has been working in the planning and construction industry for over 40 years. Robert began his affiliation with YU when he renovated the Cardozo Law School, and has since worked on many of YU’s large projects, including the building of the Glueck Center and the renovation of the Gottesman Library. Robert celebrated his 10th anniversary working at YU this past summer.  
  1. What is your favorite aspect of your job at YU?
I get to plan, design and ultimately build projects that will benefit this generation of Yeshiva University students, as well as many future generations to come.  
  1. What profession did you think you would one day hold when you were a child?
When I was 13 years old my uncle asked me what my favorite subjects were. I told him drawing and science, and he suggested I become an architect. So I did!  
  1. Which YU construction project are you most proud of?
The Glueck Center project was particularly rewarding. It enabled me to use all of my talents from 2005 to 2009 to provide a 60,000 SF new building. I think the Rabbeim like it.  
  1. What is your goal as Director of Planning, Design and Construction?
My main goal is to “keep the hits coming.” We just finished the renovation of the Gottesman Library. It is a modern renovation to a 45 year old building. I think the students like it.  
  1. What would your colleagues be surprised to learn about you?
I tell my colleagues that I am like “insulated glass.” I try to be transparent, keep it cool in the summer and keep it warm in the winter.