Faculty Fast Facts: Dr. Jesse Itzkowitz, Assistant Professor of Marketing

jesse-itzkowitz Dr. Jesse Itzkowitz is assistant professor of marketing at Yeshiva University’s Sy Syms School of Business. He grew up in Ft. Lauderdale and attended the University of Florida, earning his Ph.Ds in Psychology and Marketing. Professor Itzkowitz has been featured in Time for his research on alphabetical bias when it comes to picking stocks. Most recently, Professor Itzkowitz was one of six speakers at the sold-out Yeshiva University TEDx talk at the Schottenstein Theater on the Wilf Campus. Check out his talk on the effect names have on children’s lives and development here.
  1. What is your favorite aspect of your job at YU?
By far, my favorite part of working at YU is the students. They are smart, kind, and funny. I have the opportunity to teach both the Introductory and Capstone Marketing courses, which gives me a chance to view students’ development - both personally and professionally. It is always rewarding to see the progress made from their beginning through graduation at YU.  
  1. What type of careers do your students have upon graduation?
My students generally enter “typical” marketing careers, but the type of role often depends on their own strengths, which is what I love about my field. The more creative students have moved into positions that focus more on branding and advertising and the more quantitative ones have taken jobs as marketing researchers and product managers. I’ve also had students start their own businesses in fashion, merchandising, and consulting.  
  1. What profession did you think you would one day hold when you were a child?
Ever since I was a boy, I have always been fascinated with science. I used to watch Mr. Wizard on TV and perform my own chemistry experiments at home. I really wanted to be an astronaut. I was fascinated with weightlessness and rockets. I even convinced my parents to send me to space camp. When I found out the physical challenges they face, other scientific professions were quickly explored.  
  1. How do you stay connected with students once they graduate?
I consider myself lucky to have students who still want to talk with me. There are a handful of students that I keep in regular contact with. We typically get together in person a couple of times a year to catch up with one another. I am also quite active on social media and I keep in contact with many more students online. It always brings me a smile to see their latest baby photo, engagement story, or career advancement.  
  1. What would your colleagues be surprised to learn about you?
As my students know, I’m not really great at “impression management”, so people see the real me pretty quickly. I’m not sure how many of my colleagues know that I was a champion high-school and college debator, that I can juggle, or that I was president of my temple youth group.