YU News

YU News

MTA Light: Rabbi Steve Burg

Today’s MTA Light is Alumnus and Parent Rabbi Steve Burg, CEO of Aish HaTorah.  Rabbi Burg’s commitment to Jewish outreach and dedication to giving back to the Jewish community are truly an inspiration for all of us.  His Jewish communal career spans decades, beginning at the OU and continuing on to NCSY, the Simon Wiesenthal Center, and now Aish Hatorah, in addition to founding several outreach programs for unaffiliated Jewish teens.  “My personal inspiration for embarking on this journey to strengthen the Jewish community through outreach came from the realization that so many Jews are completely unconnected to their religion.  Through my work, I am able to  give them an opportunity to rejoin us and become involved and connected Jews.  I also had many role models at MTA that helped me throughout my life and inspired me in my career, including Rabbi Kerner, whose infectious passion for Torah taught me how to convey that passion through teaching others.  The MTA rebbeim are perfect examples of the impact we, as Jews, can have on one another.  When we work for the Jewish community, it means that our life matters.  All of us wrestle with a selfish desire to do what’s in our own best interest. Giving back to the Jewish community is all about being selfless and putting one’s own wants aside for the greater good.  By putting the Jewish community first, we demonstrate to G-d that our priorities are in order. I hope that my son Elie, an MTA Senior, and all of his peers understand that as Jews, we have no choice but to take responsibility for our community and the greater world.  Being a leader means not only understanding what the issues are, but being prepared to provide solutions.  I think this is the greatest gift that MTA gives to students: The opportunity and the skills and education necessary to become future Jewish leaders.”  Thank you, Rabbi Burg, for showing us what a true Jewish leader is.