YU Home
News and Views RSS

Bella Wolf '14S, Scholarship Recipient, Expresses Gratitude Toward Donors

Bella Wolf ’14S is a junior majoring in biology and a scholarship recipient at Stern College for Women.

Wolf says, “I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to attend Stern. I knew for a while that I wanted to pursue a career in medicine, but without the guidance and reassurance that the people at Stern have afforded me, that dream of mine might never have become a reality. The science department at Stern is extremely strong, and my mentor, Dr. Jeffrey Weisburg [the Doris Kukin Chair in Molecular Biology], is always there for me when I have questions.”

This past summer, Wolf was selected one of ten YU undergraduates selected to participate in the Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP), an advanced biomedical research program at YU’s Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Wolf worked on mice eyes to help determine DNA pathways that lead to lens transparency and the ability to see clearly; her plan is to become an ophthalmologist.

Wolf remarks, “One’s financial background should not limit one’s dreams and aspirations. Thanks to donors, students who might otherwise have given up on their goals now have the ability to achieve them and maybe even reach for higher ones they did not think possible.”