Hard to imagine but only a few short years ago, bottled water was not available. Today, Americans buy a total of 8.8 billion gallons of bottled water a year. While it seems more convenient, advertising often misleads consumers into believing that bottled water is a cleaner and safer than tap water. However bottled water is less regulated than tap while over 90% of U.S. municipal water systems that provide tap water regularly meet or exceed the EPA’s regulatory and monitoring requirements.
- If you get thirsty, head to the water fountain or bring a reusable water bottle with you.
- Keep a mug at your desk and bring it with you to the water cooler instead of using something disposable.
- Learn more and consider starting a water bottle campaign in your community.
1. Responsible Purchasing, Bottled Water
2. Corporate Accountability International