YU Home
The Jewish Future RSS

Rebbetzins Yarchei Kallah

093-CJF-1-7-2013smallThe Rebbetzin Esther Rosenblatt Yarchei Kallah for rebbetzins took place on January 7th and 8th in Teaneck, NJ under the leadership of Mrs. Meira Davis, a rebbetzin in Hollywood, FL and an exceptional leader and mentor.  The purpose of this program is to give rabbis’ wives the opportunity to meet with seasoned professionals to discuss issues of self, family, and community in a safe and supportive environment.  The participants also had the opportunity to network, develop lasting relationships, nurture a support system, and enjoy the intellectual stimulation of Torah study with leading Jewish scholars while being mentored by more experienced rebbetzins.

One hundred rebbetzins, including a number of mentors, gathered together from 17 states, Canada, and Australia. The women heard excellent shiurim and presentations from rabbis, mental health professionals, and kallah teachers on many topics relating to their personal and communal roles as rebbetzins.

Three concurrent panel discussions, divided by number of years experience as a rebbetzin (0-4 years, 5-9 years and 10-25 years), engendered meaningful participation.  Some of the speakers included Rabbi Dr. Jacob J. Schacter, Dr. David Pelcovitz, Rabbi Kenneth Brander, Dr. Nicole Screiber-Agus, Dr. Sara Barris, Dr. Naomi Greenblatt, Mrs. Nechama Price, Dr. Jennie Rosenfeld, Prof. Smadar Rosensweig, Rabbi Ronald Schwarzberg, Rabbi Mark Wildes, Mrs. Peshi Neuburger, Mrs. Sharon Richter, and Rabbi Marc Penner.  President Richard Joel and his wife, Dr. Esther Joel, led an interactive session with the rebbetzins entitled, “Partners in Leadership:  Positive Aspects of the Work of the Community Couple.”

A highlight of the conference was the very moving evening performance by The B’notes, the Stern College acapella group.  Judging by the lively and enthusiastic interaction between the rebbetzins, in the sessions and out of the sessions, there was a lot of positive networking.  This event acknowledges the great contribution and influence of rebbetzins in the growth and success of the rabbinic couple in developing their community.

“Quotes are taken from evaluations which are anonymous, in order to ensure accurate feedback.”

“I met other Rebbetzins, learned from the presenters, and was inspired to continue doing the work of a Rebbetzin.”

“It was great to meet other rebbetzins, the food was great, and the workshops were wonderful.”

“I found the sessions informative, interesting and diverse. It was so nice meeting so many other Rebbetzins and networking with them and it was so clear that so much work had gone into the event.”

“I attended as a “senior” rebbetzin to present on a panel and am so impressed with the enthusiastic, bright, dedicated young rebbetzins who make the future of modern orthodoxy look bright and successful.  I would have benefited greatly from this kind of event in my earlier years as a rebbetzin.”

“The Rebbeztins Yarchei Kallah is a wonderful opportunity for me to speak with and get advice from other Rebbetzins.  It’s something I look forward to all year!”

“We were treated to delicious meals and new friendships but the vast array of Jewish and secular topics and detail of learning experiences throughout the event exceeded expectations.”

“I arrived without expectation but left impressed by how many individual (and diverse) women I was able to connect with in a meaningful way.  Through facilitation, assigned seating, interactive workshops and informal conversations I now feel part of a large network of people that validate, inspire and inform what I do.
I was also impressed by the experts that were brought in to present.  The sessions were high-level and worth my time.  The diversity of presentation was expansive and very on-target with topics I was interested in exploring.”

“The food was exceptional and The B’notes were really moving.  The combination of the food and the entertainment really made me feel pampered and appreciated.”