YU News

YU News

Faculty Fast Facts

Bruno Galantucci received a PhD in Cognitive Science from the University of Padua and a PhD in Experimental Psychology from the University of Connecticut. He is currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychology of Yeshiva University, where he directs the Laboratory of Experimental Semiotics. He is also a Research Affiliate at the Haskins Laboratories, where he has conducted research on the psychology of language, including speech perception, word recognition, and sentence processing. In the last few years, he has focused on studying experimentally how humans establish and develop novel forms of communication. 1. What did you do before you joined YU as a faculty member? I was a research scientist at the Haskins Laboratories, an independent research institute affiliated with Yale University and the University of Connecticut. 2. What is your favorite aspect of your job at YU? There are many but if I had to pick one, it would be the students. Students at YU are wonderfully engaging and capable of great things. 3. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? I do love my job, but if I had to pick something else, within academia, I would like to do research in biology. Outside academia, I would like to be a musician. 4. What is your goal as a psychologist, and what is your goal as a teacher? As a psychologist, my main goal is that of understanding human communication as a complex system which organizes the behaviors of many individuals into a culturally shared set of conventions. As a teacher, my goal is that of stimulating students in becoming well-educated free thinkers, transmitting to them my passion for science. 5. What would your current and former YU students be surprised to learn about you? That I have done research in a number of different countries, including India, Brazil, and Italy.