Faculty Fast Facts

Dr. Tamar Avnet is an assistant professor of marketing at the Sy Syms School of Business. Previously, she was an assistant professor of marketing at the University of Toronto. She earned her PhD from Columbia University. Dr. Avnet’s work has been published in top marketing and psychology journals. Her current research is on consumer behavior, specifically human judgment and behavioral decision-making. Her main area of research investigates how consumers use and rely on their feelings and emotions when making a product choice or a purchase decision. 1. What did you do before you joined YU as a faculty member? I was an assistant professor of Marketing at the Rotman Business School at the University of Toronto. 2. What is your favorite aspect of your job at YU? I enjoy teaching and interacting with the students, especially when I feel I have impacted them in some way. I also enjoy doing research and understanding how consumers make decisions and contribute to the academic world of marketing. 3. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Probably be an account manager in an advertising agency, or own my own marketing research company. I appreciate getting consumers’ insights and applying them to practical media campaigns and brand development. 4. What is your goal as a marketing professional, and what is your goal as a teacher? As a marketing academic, my goal is to contribute to marketing theories that explain consumers’ decision making and behavior and to publish academic papers that will be impactful and meaningful. As a teacher, my goal is to inspire my students, widen their horizons, and motivate them to search for knowledge wherever they go and in whatever they do. I can’t teach them everything in marketing, but I can teach them how to think and ask questions. 5. What would your current and former YU students be surprised to learn about you? That I have a life outside of Yeshiva! I think most students see their professors as two-dimensional people who exist only in a classroom environment.