YU News

YU News

Faculty Fast Facts

Archishman_ChakrabortyDr. Archishman Chakraborty, a new appointment at Sy Syms, is the Mel Harris Chair in Financial Risk and Insurance. He earned a PhD in economics from Princeton University, and previously taught at York University and Baruch College’s Zicklin School of Business.

1. What did you do before you joined YU as a faculty member? After graduating from Princeton University, I taught first at Baruch College in Manhattan and at York University in Toronto. 2. What is your favorite aspect of your job at YU? Over the last few years, Yeshiva has hired a number of people who share my research interests, including my good friend and co-author Alessandro Citanna, in the Economics department, and quite a few others. It is an intellectually exciting time to be here, and, on top of it, there is always the city. 3. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Nothing. 4. What is your goal as an economist, and what is your goal as a teacher? My goal as an economist is to continue researching what drives the operation of markets and other institutions, and I’m currently thinking about media bias, specifically, and its role in shaping the outcome of democracies. My goal as a teacher is to engage bright students in thinking about these things, as well.