Staff Fast Facts: Gabi Sackett, Israel Program Director

Gabi profile pictureGabi Sackett is the Israel Program Director for Yeshiva University. He lives in Leshem (near the city of Ariel in the Shomron) with his wife and three children. He studied at Yeshiva University before joining the IDF and currently serves as a Lieutenant Officer in a combat unit (Duvdevan) in the IDF reserves. He also worked as a Security Manager in Israel’s Ben Gurion International Airport for eight years. Gabi has a B.A. in Education and a teaching license issued by Israel’s Ministry of Education.      
  1. What profession did you think you would hold when you were a student?
The profession I was aiming towards was to join the IDF and develop a career out of my military service. Sure enough, by the time I became an officer and graduated from Bahad-1 (IDF’s biggest officers training school) and my third child was born, I came to the conclusion that at this point in my life I needed to be at home a bit more than what the army would allow, if I had accepted a higher position. I didn’t give up on my original goal completely, as I am still an active lieutenant serving in reserve duty.
  1. What type of programs does the YU Israel office run?
Our Israel programming department focuses primarily on programs for YU students and alumni, such as Counterpoint Israel, winter break student missions, alumni reunions, and visiting scholars programs. But YU Israel is also a center for many of the university’s broad activities. Our RIETS Israel Kollel has over 30 semikha students learning this year and the S. Daniel Abraham Israel Program staff are engaging students at all of our affiliated yeshivot and seminaries throughout Israel. Feel free to drop in if you are ever in Jerusalem!
  1. What aspect of your job at YU do you most enjoy?
No matter what field you’re in, the best feeling you can have is a sense of accomplishment and actually making a difference in people's lives. Reflecting on some of the programs we’ve run, and hearing positive feedback from YU students and the communities we serve, is what I most enjoy. I’ve literally heard with my own ears that our programs have influenced many students’ lives, taught them how to build characteristics such as self-confidence, and overall having a great time in Israel.
  1. What are some of your goals for your role?
It’s no secret that I love what I do. Helping the YU Israel office grow in every way possible is my main goal. I strongly feel that it’s natural for Yeshiva University to have an Israel-based branch and to play a significant role in contributing to Israeli society.
  1. What would your colleagues be surprised to learn about you?
I am the King-of-the-Grill, and I can eat off of it three times a day. In fact, I built my own outdoor kitchen. I am also a Sofer Stam during my spare time, mainly writing Megilot Esther. Never wrote a Sefer Torah but do hope to accomplish that dream one day!