Faculty Fast Facts: David L. Schwed, J.D., Director of MS in Cybersecurity

David L. Schwed is the Director of the MS in Cybersecurity program at the Katz School of Science and Health at Yeshiva University. Dave most recently served as the Chief Information Security Officer for Galaxy Digital, a diversified merchant bank dedicated to the digital assets and blockchain technology industry. He was responsible for leading the vision, strategy, and execution for all facets of information security while building out the information technology infrastructure. He also assumed a lead role as a trusted advisor to the Risk Committee, assessing emerging threats in the financial services industry and measuring their potential to impact company operations. Previously, he was a co-founder, CIO and General Counsel of MASS Communications, a leading connectivity and telecom management provider that takes a consultative approach to deliver a full suite of voice, data, risk management and security solutions. He has more than 21 years of Information Technology, Information Security, and Risk Management experience. He has worked in the financial services sector at a senior level for BNY Mellon, Merrill Lynch, Salomon Smith Barney, and Citigroup. He has also served as an expert witness in a criminal case in the field of computer forensics. David is a Certified Information Systems Auditor and Certified Information Systems Security Professional and also the recipient of the SmartCEO Executive Management Award (General Counsel). Dave is a member of the New York Bar and graduated Magna Cum Laude from Hofstra University School of Law where he was an associate editor of the Hofstra Law Review.   1. What profession did you think you would hold when you were a student? I honestly wasn’t sure. I either wanted to be an attorney or a CIO of a major company. I was interested in technology at an early age and it was something that came naturally to me. I also loved going to work with my dad, who is a criminal defense attorney, and watching him in court.   2. How has your past work experience prepared you for your current position? I’ve worked in technology for over 22 years so I’m able to utilize that experience and build a program that incorporates real works scenarios. I’ve also founded and run a successful startup so I also have experience in building new ventures.   3. What aspect of your job with YU do you most enjoy? The interaction with the students. It’s great to see their passion and love discussing the industry with them.   4. What are some of the goals you have for the Cybersecurity program at the Katz School? To build a leading program that allows students to enter that workforce and succeed in whatever path they choose.   5. What would your colleagues be surprised to learn about you? I dropped out of college at 18 to work full time. I eventually went back to school and ultimately earned a law degree, but it took me 10 years to complete my bachelors.