Cybersecurity Candidate Obtains Coveted Certification

Mark Schleisner
Mark Schleisner, a long-time IT project manager and analyst and master’s candidate in the Katz School’s cybersecurity program, has obtained a coveted Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) credential, which is granted by the International Information System Security Certification Consortium, also known as (ISC)². “Mark’s advanced skills in cybersecurity will help him open a new chapter in his career, as well as gain the support of a large community of cybersecurity professionals,” said Lev Feldman, co-director of the Katz School’s cybersecurity program. “CISSP is well-recognized and globally trusted, and it enables students to perform various security job functions and pursue an advanced IT security career.” Mark was most recently an IT project manager for the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation, and for years he’s been an IT and security consultant. After he graduates from the Katz School’s program in August, he’s interested in getting a job as a cybersecurity analyst, cybersecurity threat investigator or cybersecurity program manager. “I joined the program with a nontraditional background, but as an IT project manager I had always been doing information access management—regulating who could get into the network and who could access the database and what they could do with it,” said Mark. “And when I led teams building business websites, I was automatically conducting vulnerability assessments and implementing security features.” As he started doing more security work as a project manager, he decided to “take the leap” full-time into cybersecurity. But it first took a coincidental introduction to David Schwed, the other co-director of the Katz School’s cybersecurity program, at a cybersecurity Meetup event. David strongly encouraged Mark to apply. “David was the reason I got into the school and the reason I stayed through some very tough moments,” said Mark, “and Lev wisely encouraged me to take the CISSP exam right after my fall semester.” The Katz School’s cybersecurity program provides know-how in systems architecture, operating systems, applications, endpoints, securing data, networking, cloud security and software development. Students learn to analyze threat landscapes and security frameworks, as well as legal, compliance and audit frameworks, and to develop internal and external communication strategies for promoting a cybersecurity culture. “The cybersecurity program has been challenging,” said Mark, “but it’s been a great education. At first, I had doubts about the workload, but everyone in the program, faculty and students alike, supported and encouraged me and got me through.” For his capstone project, he’s been given a case study of a fictional bank with 10,000 employees and an IT department, and his task is to build a new cybersecurity department in two months. “I feel well-qualified to enter this industry now,” said Mark, “and a lot more confident about the talents I have to offer an employer.” Click here for more information about the cybersecurity program and here for the Bright Futures Scholarship Initiative that will enable you to get a master's degree in any one of eight Katz School science and technology programs for a fix tuition of $25,000.