This September marks the centennial of the founding of The Marsha Stern Talmudical Society/Yeshiva University High School for Boys (YUHSB). YUHSB opened its doors on Sunday, September 3, 1916, thanks to efforts of two men: Dr. Solomon Hurwitz, the editor of The Jewish Forum, and Dr. Bernard Revel, who at that time was the president of the faculty at the Rabbinical College of America (a combination of Yeshivat Etz Chaim, a preparatory school, and the Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary).
YUHSB began with an enrollment of 20 boys. School ran six days a week (Sunday to Friday), with yeshiva classes from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and secular subjects between 3:30 and 7 p.m. Each year added new students, and the first graduating class was in 1919. That year, the New York State Board of Regents chartered YUHSB as a full accredited four-year high school.
Over the years YUHSB has managed to endure as a beacon of what Seth Taylor, principal for general studies at YUHSB and a historian of the school, calls “the original synthesis, the compromise between the modern Jew’s longing to remain loyal to tradition, even as he aspires to take part in modern culture.”
Executive Director Joshua Jacoby is heading up the planning for a year-long celebration, which will feature a number of events, video testimonials, reminiscences from some of the more than 9,000 YUHSB alumni and collaborations with RIETS, the Center for the Jewish Future, YU Library and the Azrieli Graduate School of Jewish Education. Anyone interested in participating in the centennial programming should contact Jacoby at email@example.com.