EJE-Photo-for-CJF-newsletter-9.8In July of 2014 the YU Certificate Program in Experiential Jewish Education  graduated its third cohort of educators, Cohort III, and welcomed Cohort IV. At their moving graduation ceremony, each of the twenty-one members of Cohort III presented their personal statements explaining what it means to them to be an experiential Jewish educator.

One graduate poignantly remarked:

“The psychological present, a moment of experience, is said to be about 3 seconds long. Most of those moments are lost forever, ignored by what we can call our remembering self or the stories we tell ourselves to make meaning of our experiences…As an educator, I seek to facilitate for my learners – my peers, the truly impactful, examined experiences that have led me to where I am today. I cannot control every aspect of even those 3 seconds of experience, but while I may relinquish control, it is unmistakably my responsibility to guide and support, to provide context and relevance, and to encourage exploration and risk both in my learners and myself. Experience is fleeting. Memory can be slippery. But values and intentionality can create the footholds we need to move forward together – building something greater than ourselves.”

You can watch videos from graduation here and here.

The graduates of Cohort III and incoming members of Cohort IV come from locations across North America, ranging from Pittsburgh, Toronto, San Diego, Chicago, Washington DC, Baltimore, Boston, and Detroit to name a few and hold distinct positions in a variety of organizations including: Hillel International; American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (JDC); NEXT: A Division of Birthright Israel Foundation; Yachad; NJOP; Pearlstone Center; The Bronfman Center for Jewish Student Life at New York University; The Partnership for Jewish Learning and Life; Toronto March of the Living; UJA’s Community Connect; Ulpanat Orot; American Jewish World Service (AJWS); Bible Raps; Camp Stone; Center for Jewish Life – Hillel at Princeton University; Center for Jewish Education (CJE); Frankel Jewish Academy; Gesher Jewish Day School; Jewish Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh; Jewish Community Centers of Greater Boston; jUChicago; OU-JLIC; Tanenbaum CHAT; The Abraham Joshua Heschel School; Yeshiva University; and Yeshivat Netivot Montessori.

Applications are now open for Cohort V of the Certificate Program. We’re seeking applicants who have a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in the field of experiential Jewish education, specifically from day school settings, youth movements, and major Jewish organizations and agencies (such as Federations and central education agencies). For more information and to apply visit www.ejewisheducation.com or email eje@yu.edu .

This past year, the Certificate Program also published two series of articles on various topics in experiential Jewish education on eJewishPhilanthropy. Articles written by two members of Cohort III can be viewed below:

1. What Exactly Is Experiential Jewish Education? By Carolyn Gerecht, published on March 3, 2014
  2. The Journey of the Four Children By Benji Berlow, published on March 31, 2014